![]() |
Edward Leo Lyman |
Mary Maranda Callister, daughter of Thomas Callister and Caroline Smith, was married to Edward Leo Lyman Sr., in the Endowment House, 14 November 1878, by Daniel H. Wells. He was 21 and she was 24. They set up housekeeping in one room of Caroline Lyman's adobe home, which stood north of the present John E. Lovell home in Oak City. Edward was associated with his brothers in the sawmill business. Mary and Edward spent their honeymoon at the sawmill in the canyon. Ten children were born to this couple: Ida May (stillborn), Edward Leo Jr., Philomela (Millie), Lydia, Frank Arthur, Thomas Callister (Callis), Willis Jan, Evelyn (stillborn), Clara and Alma Rich.
In 1880 Edward went to Bluff, San Juan, with his brothers in the original "Hole in the Rock" company. Upon returning from the expedition, Edward and Mary decided to stay in Oak City instead of going back to San Juan. The Lyman Brothers organized a company. Edward bought a lot and built a small home. Mary taught school to help with the family finances even though children were coming along regularly. George E. Finlinson, one of her students, has told many times how he pushed the baby carriage in the schoolroom to keep the baby quiet while she taught school.
![]() |
Edward "Eddie" Leo Lyman |
The great tragedy of Mary's life was the death of her beloved husband, 'Eddie' on May 22, 1906, of pneumonia. With the help of her sons she managed the farm and was father and mother to her children.
Mary died 24 years later on May 14, 1930. Both she and Edward are buried in the Oak City Cemetery.
Source:
Book: “Echoes of the Sage and Cedars” – A Centennial History of Oak City, Utah 1868-1969; Compiled by Margaret W. Roger, p. 387-338.
Descendancy
Lydia Partridge
Edward Leo Lyman