Thursday, February 20, 2014

Willis Jay Lyman (1891-1918)

Willis Jay Lyman
Willis Jay Lyman was born on 21 June 1891 in Ogden, Weber County, Utah, to Edward Leo Lyman and Mary Maranda Callister.

He married Angie Finlinson on 1 May 1918 in the Manti Temple. They are the parents of six children, Asael, Millie, Blaine Finlinson, Eddie Finlinson, George Edward and Mary Lyman.

Willis died on 17 October 1968 in Rexburg, Madison County, Idaho, and was buried in the Oak City Cemetery, Millard County, Utah.

This was written by Willis Jay Lyman: “My father was Edward Leo Lyman Sr. My mother was Mary Maranda Callister Lyman. My grandfather on my father's side was Amasa Mason Lyman. He was a descendant of Richard Lyman who came from England and settled in Massachusetts in 1631. Historians say that all the Lyman’s in the United States and Canada are descendants of this man, so I am of the great Lyman family of America. My grandmother on my father's side was Lydia Partridge, daughter of Edward Partridge, the first Presiding Bishop of the L.D.S. church. My grandfather on my mother's side was Thomas Callister. Thomas Callister was converted to the church in the Isle of Man, and came to Nauvoo, Illinois in 1842, when he was 19 years of age. He was the only one of his immediate family who joined the church. Thomas Callister lived most of his life in Fillmore, Utah, where he served as Bishop of the Fillmore Hard then a Stake President of the Millard Stake. He was a friend of the Indians and a man of great human kindness, loved and respected by all who knew him. My grandmother on my mother's side was Caroline Smith. She was a daughter of John Smith and Clarissa Lyman. Clarissa was a distant cousin of my Grandfather Amasa Lyman. John Smith was a brother of Joseph Smith Sr., father of the Prophet Joseph Smith. He was the first President of the Salt Lake Stake and served as Presiding Patriarch to the church.”

“My sisters Lydia and Millie always made quite a fuss over me. I am inclined to think they spoiled me with their attention. Millie taught school in Oak City and I attended her school. Mother also taught school in Oak City and I attended her school at least one year. Mother never took any monkey-business from her own boys in school.”

“We moved our few household goods to Oak City and set up housekeeping with mother in her home. These were trying times to say the least. At this point my sister, Lydia, came to the rescue and made it possible for me to go through college. This was one of the most gracious things a sister could do for a brother.”


Descendancy:
Amasa Mason Lyman & Lydia Partridge
Edward Leo Lyman 
Willis Jay Lyman 
Find A Grave Memorial

No comments:

Post a Comment