Thursday, August 28, 2014

Willis Lane Wilcken (1945-2012)

Willis Lane Wilcken
Willis "Willy" Lane Wilcken was born on 26 April 1945 in Rexburg, Madison Co., ID. He is the son of Lane LaGrand Wilcken and Millie Lyman. He married Millie Rivera  in 1968 and they are the parents of seven children. He was preceded in death by his son, Willis Lane Wilcken Jr., from a previous marriage.

Willis died on 27 Oct 2012 in Mesa, Maricopa Co., AZ. It was discovered that he had methothelioma as a result of his military service in the Philippines years ago. He had worked on aircraft and was exposed to abestos during that time. Willy shared his testimony online and his writings were shared at his funeral. This is his mormon.org profile:

Hi I'm Willis (Willy) Lane Wilcken Sr
I'm a Mormon.

About Me
I am a husband, father of 8, grandfather of 42+, and mechanic/custom car/3 wheeled motorcycle builder. My sons and I work together in the family business and love our association. We build radically styled, crazy, custom three wheeled motorcycles and custom cars while also doing general car repair. Things are never dull around our place. I have impersonated Elvis Presley for more years than he did. :o) Things are sometimes (more than not) a mess and my wife has to put up with all the stuff we do. We love where we live and have great friends. Although I was born into the LDS faith and am a descendant of the earliest Mormons, I gained my own testimony by study and prayer. I love the fact that no one has to believe because someone else says so. Each can gain their own individual testimony by personal communication with our Father in Heaven. I have a rich heritage in the LDS Church and am grateful for the examples set for me by so many wonderful individuals. My wife is a wonderful woman of deep convictions from the Philippines. Of our 8 children one is deceased. His passing, while sad, is tempered by our understanding of the eternal nature of our existence and nature of our heavenly family relationships. We look forward to continuing our family relationships beyond this life in much the same way we do here. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is everything to us. It is our past, our present, and our beckoning future!

Willy Wilcken - I'm A Mormon profile picture
Why I am a Mormon
Why am I a Mormon? How does one answer such a question in mere words? The Gospel permeates every phase of my life. It has helped me meet the challenges of being an adult, a father, a husband, a provider, the loss to death of loved ones, and in too many ways to count. I know through study, prayer, meditation, and the whispering of the Holy Ghost that Jesus is the Christ, Joseph Smith and his successors are prophets of God, and that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. Along with the Bible it testifies and clarifies the doctrines of Jesus Christ. I love it with all my heart.

How I live my faith
I believe it is my duty as a Priesthood holder to make an effort to bless the lives of everyone I come in contact with on a daily basis.

Obituary published in the Arizona Republic on 31 Oct. 2012.

Wilcken, Willis Lane, Sr.
(67) Born in Rexburg, Idaho Apr 26, 1945 passed away peacefully Oct 27, 2012. He was preceded in death by his parents, sister and eldest son, Willis Jr. Survived by his loving wife of 44 years Mildred Rivera, children: Lane, Cathy, John, Joseph, Lydia, Clarissa, Jared and 41 grandchildren. Willis was a lifelong car, airplane enthusiast and entrepreneur. He was a great husband, father and friend to many. Services will be held at the LDS chapel on Adobe & Val Vista in Mesa at 10am concluding with interment in Fillmore, Utah.

Descendancy:  
Lydia Partridge
Edward Leo Lyman
Willis Jay Lyman
Millie Lyman
Willis Lane Wilcken
Find A Grave Memorial

No comments:

Post a Comment